History of Benignus
Benignus Elementary School in Klein ISD was named for Johann Ludwig “Louis” Benignus. He was born April 18, 1839 in Oberndorf, Wuerttemberg, Germany to Johann David Benignus and Rosena Seitz*. He died September 11, 1915 in Harris County, Texas and is buried in the Budde Cemetery. He married Katherine Helene Friedricka Kuterof June 24, 1866 in Rudersberg, Wuerttemberg, Germany. They had 8 children, 6 of whom reached maturity. Louis and family came to the United States with 2 of his brothers and their families. They arrived in Texas through the Port of Galveston in 1874. Louis applied for citizenship October 8, 1880 in Harris County, Texas. Citizenship was granted November 10, 1887. Louis was a farmer and vine dresser. He made wine from the grapes and sold it to area churches and others. He was a founder of a Lutheran church in Spring Texas, which today is named Immanuel United Church of Christ. His house was moved from the homestead on Kuykendall Road to Old Town Spring where it stands today. There is a picture of the house in the Spring, Texas museum. The 116 acre farm came into the ownership of a son, Eugene Emil Benignus, who with his wife, Alice Adelia Martha Kramer, erected a large Victorian style house. The property next passed to Eugene’s daughter, Esther Elizabeth Benignus, and her husband Bernard Strack who built a modern style house. The property was sold and the subdivision Wind Rose was built on the property.
 
*parent information from Linda Mearse of San Marcos,Tx.